Evening in Istanbul

Evening in Istanbul
The alluring and beautiful Aya Sophia

Thursday, September 1, 2011

PADDLING PERFEKSYON – Turkey Tales

Waking to a Turkish crescent moon


Turkish baklava, metzes, vin rosé, bread cheeses and yoğurt – I think I'm back in a foodie's healthy heaven. And with Vedat Vural in charge of our kayaking expedition cuisine, the standard is the highest imaginable. Even Jenny, with sensitivities to dairy and gluten, was in raptures about the food.

The notes from Alternatif Outdoors about our kayaking read
An expedition through a really remote region of southwest Turkey, the Gulf of Gokova. Although we start and finish near Marmaris, this 6 day expedition takes us far from the Turkey known by most holiday makers. Starting at Bordubet, in the neck of the Datca peninsula we follow the remote and rugged coast round to the small fishing village/resort of Akyaka. It is a chance to explore little visited islands and bays. Camping on remote beaches in sheltered bays, snorkelling to admire the sea life, exploring ancient ruins, this is a chance for people who enjoy paddling to experience a wilder, more natural Turkey

So - Jenny had worries about the food, I had worries about my chronic tennis elbow and recent ankle sprain, and it all turned out amazingly well. Six days of paddling, some quite long, with rough sea conditions, and we loved it all. The Mediterranean is such an amazing blue, with luminous turquoise in shallow water, so clear and warm. We were encouraged to swim out of our kayaks – to make sure we were able to get back in again! - and sometimes chose to fall in, just to cool off. We had many swims, even submersing with all our clothes and kayak gear on, before setting off for the next paddle. Yes it was hot. One lunchtime stop saw us on a beach with no shade anywhere, so Vedat fashioned a shade out of a tarp, paddles, stones and string. It was wonderful when we could stop under trees.

It wasn't all light and bright though. Our 1st campsite was at the far end of a narrow cove, and up a bank – having to step up onto that ankle wasn't a joke, and then into mosquito mayhem wasn't much fun. A young 18 year old girl from Istanbul, Tugce, and I were obviously just what the mozzies were waiting for . . . . . you can imagine! Fortunately that was the worst mozzie night, but they made their stinging presence known in other places too; as did the wasps and bees – only one wasp sting this year, but at one beach I could hardly land because of the B welcoming committee! Vedat tells me not to wave them away, that they feel my fear – takes much self control for me not to do that.

One of my most precious 'land' memories was camping on a headland the 2nd night, just Jenny and me out there under millions of stars, and a crescent (had to be a crescent moon in Turkey) moon rising over the horizon. What a treat!

The scenery was simply beautiful, with a looming mountain range, craggy headlands, leafy light green pine and scented liquid amber forests, ancient wild olive trees, sea birds, goats and even a few rabbits.

Jenny here :
I have just spent a wonderful 6 days paddling amongst crystal blue waters with stunning patterns created underwater by the reflections. Add to that balmy weather, wilderness camping and campfires, and you have my recipe for total relaxation. I feel most like myself when feeling windswept and salty and I discovered the real me again! Highlights for me were the scenery and variable sea conditions. At times in rougher conditions I felt my confidence and experience increasing, as I am relatively new to sea kayaking. My favorite camping spot was a cove in English Harbor on Day 4. We enjoyed an open ocean view, a campfire, and a glorious red, pink and purple sky ; a breathtaking sunset. All in all a fantastic experience in a spectacular environment with great company and a gracious host and guide. I would highly recommend this adventure to anyone. Thanks to Vedat. Kia Kaha.

From us both:
Vedat Vural's guiding, care and concern for us, and ability to improvise help in any situation, made this a most enjoyable experience for us both. This is guiding of a very high standard indeed. Wow! How lucky.
You can find more information about his Alternatif Tourizm at http://www.alternatifoutdoor.com/

If you scroll right down to the bottom you'll find more paddlings pics down there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment